Sunday, June 19, 2011

Training Day 3

Just completed a quick session with Scout. My husband, Brock, and I just got home from a wedding weekend where Brock was a groomsman. So today's training was more or less a review for Scout since we lapsed a couple days without any training and the fact that is was a bit of an exhausting 2 days.

So I put out Scout's target and he immediately ran to it and laid down. A good sign that he has the concept of downing in close proximity to the target. We did about 5 repetitions of walking about 15 feet away from the target and approaching. I would stop at initially at 3 feet from the target and Scout would trot to the blanket and down. Then I increased my distance away from the target to 5 feet and Scout still trotted to the target and downed. Where he was being reliable about his approach to the target I shortened my distance again to about 3-4 feet and as he was moving forward to the target after I had stopped, I said "Car".  My goal eventually will be for us to be about 5 feet away from the target and stationary and on the cue "Car" Scout will trot over and lay down on the target. But short and sweet was our session today, ended on a good note of approaching, giving cue "Car" and clicking and treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment